West Virginia Judiciary

Access to Justice

Language Access

The Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia (WVSCA) is committed to providing language access to anyone involved in state court proceedings, regardless of the language they speak. The Supreme Court provides language access through interpreter services for all individuals exhibiting Limited or No English Proficiency (LEP) during all hearings, trials, and motions, and in important actions with court personnel.  All interested LEP parties (plaintiff, defendant, petitioner, respondent, witness, or parent or legal guardian of a minor party) have a right to an interpreter when in court.  Interpreter services are provided at the Court’s expense, regardless of a user’s ability to pay for the services.

Mission Statement:

West Virginia state courts are to provide foreign language interpreters and interpretation/translation services to all persons of Limited or No English Proficiency (LEP), including parents of non-LEP minors, in criminal or civil settings during all hearings, trials and motions, and in important interactions with court personnel.  West Virginia Courts shall also provide this service for preparation for hearings, trials and motions and in depositions in cases which are the responsibility of or being brought by the state.  Interpreters are to be provided at no cost to the user, regardless of his or her ability or perceived ability to pay, as meaningful access to the courts is the right of all citizens, in particular LEPs under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.


West Virginia state law requires interpreters to be provided for those who are non-English speaking in state courts and can be found in the Code at § 57-5-7. 
West Virginia state courts provide interpreters in civil, criminal, and family court proceedings for Plaintiffs, Defendants, Petitioners, Respondents, Witnesses, and for Parents/Guardians if a minor is involved in the court proceedings.  


The courts can provide foreign language interpreter by three different methods. 

Interpreters who provide interpreting services in court settings cannot in any way be related to, socially connected to, or otherwise familiar with any party, witness, or family member.  Therefore, anyone (family member, friend, etc.) who comes in with the individual needing these services CANNOT interpret in court settings. 


The Supreme Court also provides document translations.  Be aware that we do NOT use our interpreters to translate documents.  The following documents set a minimum standard for those documents which shall be provided in written translation for the LEP individual:

The Court can arrange for any document(s) that a judge determines to be vital to be translated as well. 


Anyone who needs an interpreter should submit a Request for Foreign Language Interpreter/Translation Services Form, which is available at each county clerk’s office. Failure to complete this form does not dismiss the right to an interpreter, but the local court must be made aware of the need for an interpreter so that one can be arranged for the proceeding.  

If you need foreign language interpretation services in West Virginia Courts, or if you are interested in serving in West Virginia Courts as a language interpreter, please call the Division of Education, Training, and Access to Justice at 304-558-0145.  

Foreign Language Interpreter/Translator Forms

Request for Foreign Language Interpreter/Translator Service

Invoice for Interpreter or Translator Service